Supreme Court Decision
On June 26, the United States Supreme Court ruled that part of the Federal Defense of Marriage Act was unconstitutional. That decision meant that the federal government would have to recognize same-sex "marriages" that are permitted under the laws of the states or foreign governments. The Court also refused to uphold California's Proposition 8, which defended the authentic definition of marriage.
- The statement by Archbishop Dolan and all the New York State Bishops on same-sex "marriage", in English and in Spanish.
- A sample letter to legislators (which is also in Spanish) and a sample bulletin announcement (also in English and Spanish).
- Our Office's fact sheets, which you could use as a flyer or a bulletin insert:
- "Why Marriage Should Not Be Redefined", and
- "Redefining Marriage Would Threaten Religious Liberty". This was also published in a full-page ad in Catholic New York.
- The "Resource Guide for Priests, Deacons, Catechists, and Teachers" from the U.S. Bishops Conference, with homily tips and other resources (you can read it online or download it)
- Archbishop Dolan's recent statement, on behalf of the bishops of the United States, regarding the Defense of Marriage Act.
- His Eminence, Cardinal Egan's statement and column on defending marriage.
- The U.S. Bishops' statement on marriage, "Between Man and Woman". Click here for a printable version.
- The statement from the United States Bishops, "Ministry to Persons with a Homosexual Inclination: Guidelines for Pastoral Care". or En Espanol
- Fr. Roger Landry of Fall River (these can be found on his website):
- "The Joint Defense of Marriage and Democracy"
- "Strengthening Marriage"
- Msgr. Charles Pope of Washington:
- Fr. Paul Scalia of Arlington:
- Archbishop John Nienstedt (Archdiocese of St. Paul - Minneapolis), "Marriage Amendment Deserves our Support" (Commenting on Minnesota's proposal to affirm the authentic definition or marriage)
- Fr. Paul Check, Fr. John Harvey and others from the Courage Apostolate
- Edward Mechmann's blog, "Stepping Out of the Boat"
- "Considerations Regarding Proposals to Give Legal Recognition to Unions Between Homosexual Persons", which contains important considerations on the moral responsibilities of Catholic citizens and public officials.
- "Family, Marriage and De Facto Unions", which provides valuable theological foundations for this issue.
we give you thanks for the gift of marriage:
the bond of life and love, and the font of the family.
The love of husband and wife enriches your Church with children,
fills the world with a multitude of spiritual fruitfulness and service,
and is the sign of the love of your Son, Jesus Christ, for his Church.
The grace of Jesus flowed forth at Cana at the request of the Blessed Mother.
May your Son, through the intercession of Mary,
pour out upon us a new measure of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit
as we join with all people of good will
to promote and protect the unique beauty of marriage.
May your Holy Spirit enlighten our society
to treasure the heroic love of husband and wife,
and guide our leaders to sustain and protect
the singular place of mothers and fathers in the lives of their children.
Father, we ask that our prayers be joined to those of the Virgin Mary,
that your Word may transform our service
so as to safeguard the incomparable splendor of marriage.
We ask all these things through Christ our Lord,
Saints Joachim and Anne, pray for us.