General Rules for CYO Competition
The Catholic Youth Organization views sportsmanship and character development as integral to the mission of their athletic programs. Since participation in CYO programs is voluntary and not mandated or required by any source, we reserve the right to enforce the following guidelines:
1. Participants must be resident members of the sponsoring parish and they must live within the geographic boundaries of the parish they represent.
2. Any student of a Roman Catholic parish/Roman Catholic private school is eligible to represent that parish/school in a CYO activity.
3. Participants must meet the age and grade requirements of the particular program.
4. A Catholic player whose family chooses to make a non-resident parish the center of their religious life may only become eligible to participate on the non-resident parish's CYO team by obtaining the following:
- A) A letter from the Pastor of their geographic parish stating they are not members of their geographic parish.
- B) A letter from the Pastor of the non-resident parish stating they have been active members of such parish for at least one year prior to September 1, 2008. The date of registration with the parish must be included in the letter.
NOTE: A player who physically moves residence to a state other than New York is ineligible to compete within this Archdiocese. If the move occurs during the player's participation, the athlete may complete the season but is not eligible for future participation. Players must live in the county of the team on which they are a member.
5. Under no circumstances will an individual be allowed to utilize two separate addresses for the purpose of establishing eligibility to participate in a specific program. The only exception to this rule will be the existence of a court-ordered Decree of Divorce that stipulates a joint custody arrangement between parents with specific terms of custody. It is the responsibility of the parish to provide a copy of the Decree of Divorce to the CYO.
6. In determining cases of eligibility the CYO reserves the right to ask for all of the following documentation to determine residence:
- a) lease or rental contract
- b) letter from school principal verifying above address
- c) utility bills
- d) copy of cancelled rent checks or, in the case of cash payment, a statement from the landlord indicating the monthly payment and the amount he has received
7. In determining a player's eligibility there exists no cases of grandfathering eligibility based on the previous year's participation. Each player who chooses to participate in CYO activities must establish eligibility for a particular program every year. Participation in a parish CCD program does not establish residency in that parish.
8. In any situations where the participation of a team or parish brings in to question the credibility of those individuals responsible for that team or program, and the actions of that team or program are detrimental to the integrity and credibility of the CYO, then the CYO Central Administration has the right to impose sanctions including removal, reassignment to a different division or the designation as a non-playoff eligible team. These actions will be taken after consultation with the pastor or principal of the offending party and the decision of CYO is final.
9. In a situation where a parish/school program has been found to have ineligible players, all of the teams in that program may be ruled ineligible for County and Archdiocesan playoffs by the CYO administration. We feel it is the responsibility of our adult volunteers to maintain the standards of our organization and to bring to our attention any cases of misconduct on the part of a coach or a parent.
10. In cases where school is closed, the athletes are grandfathered eligible until they graduate 8th grade.